Search Results For stephen poloz
- Fragile corporate debt emerges as Bank of Canada vulnerability
Non-financial corporate debt was 315 per cent of income at the end of 2018, the Bank of Canada said in its annual Financial System Review.
- Canada’s inflation up 2% in April, as carbon tax helps push gas prices higher
Inflation is in line with the Bank of Canada's target, which lowers the chance of another interest rate move in the near term, economists said.
- Bank of Canada’s Poloz: There are ‘good reasons’ to encourage mortgage terms longer than 5 years
Fewer loans being renewed every year could be beneficial to both homeowners and the broader financial system, the central bank governor said.
- ‘Biggest threat’ to Canadian economy is a global trade war: Poloz
"There are 47 economies globally that are seeing this slowdown all at the same time," Poloz said.
- Bank of Canada holds key interest rate at 1.75%, downgrades economic forecast
In its announcement today, the central bank removed any mention of a need for future interest rate increases.
- Bank of Canada leaves key interest rate unchanged at 1.75%
Canada's central bank cited concerns about both the global economy and the domestic economic environment.
- Bank of Canada governor Poloz says pace of future rate hikes ‘highly uncertain’
The central bank has left its trend-setting interest rate unchanged at 1.75 per cent since last October.
- Bank of Canada keeps key rate at 1.75%, downgrades economic forecast
Amid a clouding economy outlook, the bank is pushing the pause button.
- Hike or hold? Bank of Canada expected to announce interest rate today
The Bank of Canada is expected to hold its benchmark interest rate at 1.75 per cent today as it makes its first policy decision of 2019.
- Lower gas prices send November inflation rate to 1.7% — weakest in 2018
Slowing inflation and wage growth could lead the Bank of Canada to push back its next interest rate hike.
- Canada has the ‘capacity’ to handle a recession despite continued deficit: Morneau
Finance Minister Bill Morneau also said concerns about Canadian competitiveness will form a key plank of the upcoming fall economic update.
- Bank of Canada raises key interest rate to 1.75%
The move represents the fifth rate hike since July of 2017
- Canadians should ‘buy smaller’ homes in response to interest hike, Bank of Canada head says
As the Bank of Canada raised key interest rates to 1.5 per cent (up from 1.25 per cent) Wednesday morning, mortgage rates are already rising as well.
- Bank of Canada delivers another hike, key interest rate rises to 1.5%
It's the fourth increase since last summer, but economists expect a lull before the next rate move.
- Canadian economy ekes out 0.1% gain in April
The result, though modest, was better than what analysts had expected.
- Trump’s tariffs and new mortgage rules to affect Bank of Canada interest rate, Stephen Poloz says
The central ban, has been incorporating into its projections the fallout of U.S. steel and aluminum tariffs as well as retaliatory measures by Canada
- ‘Companies are reluctant to invest’ as questions swirl around NAFTA, pipelines: Poloz
Bank of Canada Governor Stephen Poloz says hesitation around new investments in Canada is keeping him up at night.
- Bank of Canada keeps interest rate at 1.25% but likely to hike later this year
The next hike could come as soon as July, according to CIBC.
- The Bank of Canada hid a video game behind its website of the new $10 bill
The purple polymer bill – the first vertically oriented banknote issued in Canada – includes a portrait of Canadian civil rights icon Viola Desmon
- Who owns crashing Bitcoin? Mostly young men
But cryptocurrency adoption remains 'very low,' and it's 'too early to say what regulation would look like,' Bank of Canada says.