Search Results For bank of canada
- Fragile corporate debt emerges as Bank of Canada vulnerability
Non-financial corporate debt was 315 per cent of income at the end of 2018, the Bank of Canada said in its annual Financial System Review.
- Bank of Canada flags climate change as ‘vulnerability’ in annual report card
The Bank of Canada is highlighting its growing concerns about the challenges of climate change for the economy and the financial system.
- Canada’s inflation up 2% in April, as carbon tax helps push gas prices higher
Inflation is in line with the Bank of Canada's target, which lowers the chance of another interest rate move in the near term, economists said.
- Bank of Canada’s Poloz: There are ‘good reasons’ to encourage mortgage terms longer than 5 years
Fewer loans being renewed every year could be beneficial to both homeowners and the broader financial system, the central bank governor said.
- Canada’s redesigned $10 bill recognized as best international banknote of the year
The $10 bill, which prominently features Viola Desmond — a Nova Scotia civil rights pioneer and businesswoman — went into circulation in November.
- ‘Biggest threat’ to Canadian economy is a global trade war: Poloz
"There are 47 economies globally that are seeing this slowdown all at the same time," Poloz said.
- Bank of Canada holds key interest rate at 1.75%, downgrades economic forecast
In its announcement today, the central bank removed any mention of a need for future interest rate increases.
- Skyrocketing global debt a top concern, Bank of Canada official says
"The global development that concerns me the most, though, is rising debt," Carolyn Wilkins said.
- Canadian households now using 14.9% of income for debt payments
Rising interest rates are putting borrowers in a tough spot.
- Bank of Canada leaves key interest rate unchanged at 1.75%
Canada's central bank cited concerns about both the global economy and the domestic economic environment.
- Gig economy could be dragging down wages for everyone — even those with regular employment
According a new Bank of Canada report, the effects of the gig economy have reduced pressure on employers to maintain regular and sufficient wage incre
- Bank of Canada governor Poloz says pace of future rate hikes ‘highly uncertain’
The central bank has left its trend-setting interest rate unchanged at 1.75 per cent since last October.
- Canadian inflation up in December as pricier airfares, vegetables offset cheaper gas
Higher airfare costs during the holiday season helped prop up the inflation rate.
- Bank of Canada keeps key rate at 1.75%, downgrades economic forecast
Amid a clouding economy outlook, the bank is pushing the pause button.
- Hike or hold? Bank of Canada expected to announce interest rate today
The Bank of Canada is expected to hold its benchmark interest rate at 1.75 per cent today as it makes its first policy decision of 2019.
- RBC denies report claiming bank had access to Facebook users’ private messages
The bank named in an explosive New York Times report published on Tuesday that outlined how Facebook gave major companies greater access to its users'
- Lower gas prices send November inflation rate to 1.7% — weakest in 2018
Slowing inflation and wage growth could lead the Bank of Canada to push back its next interest rate hike.
- 76% of Canada’s national wealth is wrapped up in real estate, and the market is slowing: data
Analysis of data from the U.S. Federal Reserve indicates that this is a higher share of national wealth than real estate takes up in the United States
- Canada’s household debt-to-income ratio still near record despite rising rates
Canadians' failure to reduce debt despite rising borrowing costs is 'concerning,' one debt counsellor warns.
- Bank of Canada leaves interest rate unchanged at 1.75%
Bank of Canada leaves its key rate unchanged, as expected, at 1.75 per cent.